Saturday, November 21, 2009

Cooter's Big Adventure

As I have previously blogged you know that my sweet and precious Cooter fell and broke his leg. It has been one of the most exhausting two weeks of my life. (Yeah, can you believe that a kitty can cause that much grief??!!) So let me give you and update on Cooter’s big unfortunate adventure.


On Thursday, November 12, Cooter had a metal pin and five stainless steel clamps put in his hind leg. No big deal, right? WRONG…big WRONG! We picked Cooter up from the hospital on November 13. Yep, Friday the 13th. Never have I really been a believer of superstitions, but I may have actually changed my mind. I joked that it might have been a bad idea that we were picking our black cat up from the vet on Friday the 13th, but never did we ever think we were in store for this.

This is Cooter coming home from the vet for the first time.


Friday night me and the boys (Luke and Cooter) settled in at home while daddy went out with Andrew, because he was home from school. Friday night was great! Cooter seemed to be making significant improvement. Saturday was another great day as well as Sunday. Monday Cooter ran out of pain medicine. He didn’t seem to be hurting too bad, so we took him to spend the day with Great Grandmom Hughes. (Mainly so she could make sure he was staying on his exercise restriction.) Tuesday was the beginning of what was the longest week of our lives with Cooter. We woke up and got ready to go to Great Grandmom Hughes’ house and I was going to work. Cooter was not having any interaction with anyone, including his best friend Luke. I knew he was hurting. I took him to Grandmom’s anyways and called the doctor. He wanted to see him, so back to Memphis we went. Cooter ended up staying for two nights, because he was in so much pain because the pin in his leg was putting major pressure on his sciatic nerve. I was not happy. Two days later he was better and ready to come home. The night he came home he was fine. We stayed strict on his medicine, but still the next morning he was not doing well at all. Cooter was even dragging his leg like it was limp. Back to Memphis he went with Nana (That’s Nancy…lol) Sure enough my instincts were right. It was worse. So much worse that they took Cooter back into surgery the same day. That was yesterday at 5:00 p.m. They cut the pin down so it would take the pressure off of his nerve because they were concerned about permanent damage.

Which leads us into today…the first morning of our marriage that we woke up before 8 a.m. on a Saturday morning. But we had to go get our baby from the hospital. I was nervous. I just wanted my sweet and loving kitty back, not the crazy cat that wouldn’t even let me touch him. We got there and I knew immediately that he was better. When they brought him to us he just purred and was bright eyed and attentive. Ahh…we immediately let out a sigh of relief. I think we are on the right track now. Cooter is happy to be back at home, and we are ready for the next hurdle of our life.



Cooter and Luke settled in at home. (Hopefully for good)
Daddy, Cooter, and Luke doing what they do best.

0 comments:

Post a Comment