Monday, January 18, 2010

Making Memories That Count



Nothing is more cozy than snuggling up on the couch, watching a movie, with some popcorn underneath that quilt that has been in your family for years. Right? Well since I don't have one of those quilts yet, last year I decided to take on a project. Well actually I had my family take on a project with me. It was one of the best ideas ever.
I wanted a quilt. I wanted a quilt just like the lovely one that is on Matthew's grandmothers bed. It is cute, but very very very...well you get the point...old! I could never think about getting any popcorn butter on it. So I asked Matthew's grandmother to help me recreate that quilt. At first I was apprehensive as to how I was going to help. Me sew? Truth is I wasn't as bad as I thought I would be. Not only did Grandmama agree to help, Granddaddy engineered our template. How wonderful, huh?
42 blocks later and almost a year later we were ready to start quiliting. By this time I have had input from multiple family members. Nancy has put together some blocks. Andrew has simplified our embroidery stitch. Granddaddy has built our template and has put in his two cents in here, there, and every where.
Eventhough this quilt hasn't been completed yet, nor has it been passed now many years like most quits, or even had many memories made snuggled up underneath it, it still has many memories in the making. I can't wait until it is finished. I am more excited to pass one of my own quilts on. More importantly I am the most excited about the many memories that I have already of this quilt, will have, and will be able to share. There is just something about quilts that bring warmth to everyone's heart that shares it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment